Contents Insurance

What is it?

It covers the loss of or damage to the contents of your home. This includes your furniture, electrical goods and other items within your home. Some policies will cover you for items you take outside, for example cameras, mobile phones, jewellery and briefcases. Different policies offer different levels of cover but generally you'll be covered against fire and theft, with the option to insure against accidental damage.

If not already covered by your contents insurance, you may want to consider travel insurance for loss or damage to your personal belongings whilst travelling.

What isn't covered?

Anything that falls beyond the maximum amount your insurer says they will pay, and it may pay a maximum amount on single articles. You'll need to specify the value of the collective contents. Some companies have limits on the value of any one item under the general policy so might need to specify individual items such as expensive jewellery or camera equipment, for example.

Your cover may also be affected or cancelled if you leave your home empty for a long period of time, or if you let it out.

Damage to the building itself is also not covered; this needs to be covered separately with Buildings insurance.

Keeping costs down

Many insurers will offer discounts if you have a burglar alarm, window locks or if you're a member of a Neighbourhood Watch scheme. You may also achieve a discount if you combine contents and buildings insurance.

Most policies have a standard excess charge which means you agree to pay the first part of any claim, for example the first £100 or £150. If you agree to pay a higher excess you might get a cheaper policy.

Always compare what's covered by a policy, not just the price - the key policy information will help you do this. Some might be cheaper than others, but they may not offer the same level of protection.

Level of cover

Some contents insurance policies offer new for old. This means they'll replace old damaged appliances and possessions with new ones when you make a claim.

Bear in mind that your premiums may increase the following year, or the insurance company may refuse to cover you for the same risk if it happens more than twice, for example.

Benefits may include

Dependent on options chosen

  • Accidental Damage Cover - Includes: Accidental damage cover as standard, for televisions, radios, disc players, satellite receivers and video tape players.
  • Credit Card Misuse
  • Deeds, registered bonds and personal documents
  • No Claims Discount - Maximum discount offered: 1 year - 5 years. NCD can be protected on certain policies.
  • Domestic outbuilding contents (other than garages)
  • Door lock replacement
  • Frozen food
  • Garden Cover - including but not limited to; plants, outdoor furniture and barbeques.
  • Gold, silver, jewellery and furs
  • Money
  • Seasonal/Wedding increase info - Up to 10% increase in contents cover throughout December, and 14 days before and 14 days after your wedding.

If you would like to discuss your needs in this area please contact us to arrange a no obligation appointment. Find out more about our General Insurance products below

Subscribe to our newsletter